FNM Report 1 or, "Why Time Seive is nuts." part 1

Posted by BTsume | | Posted On Monday, August 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Alright then, this'll be my first FMN report on this blog, and my first, in general, so it'll be a little rough. I didn't manage to capture every move exactly, so you'll all forgive me if this a bit miscewed, right?

Round 1 vs Andy playing "Men in Black"

Game 1:

Andy's deck was a simple mono-black aggro/control list with a lot of M10 cards, and when I asked him how long he's been playing, I somewhat understood when he said about 3 months. I won the roll and went first, playing a Savage Lands and passing. Andy played a Swamp and passed back. Land go came from me as his turn two saw him playing a second Swamp and a Sign in Blood targeting me. I dunno' about that...My turn three was another land, the last in my hand, and a Noble Hierarch. His third turn saw a Looming Shade come into play and he passed the turn back. I didn't draw a fourth land, but the Hierarch allowed a devistaing Chamelion Collosus to came down with a thud. Andy had to read it, and seemed rather unaffected even though at this point he should have known it destroyed his deck. His third turn saw a Looming shade come into the red zone, and two pump to make it a 3/3. Not sure why only two, but I untaped, and beated for ten via the exalted and pumping CC. I passed it back, and he left the Shade on the D. even though it was black. The pointing out of said Pro-blackness won me the game at my next attack step.

Sideboarding:
I didn't side for this match as I figure any amount of CC or Stag would get me the two oh.

Game 2:

Andy chooses to go first, and I choose to mull a hand with one land. I keep my six, and the first play of the game is his turn two Child of Night. I get beated for a turn, sticking a third turn Kitchen Finks. His following attack send the scores to 22 to 24, with Andy leading, but me still having a creature. Andy fixes that but playing a Warpath Ghoul after I attack for two with my Finks. The scores stands at 19 to 21 with Andy's attack, but CC comes down on turn five or so to do a little something. Attacking him with Finks, the score was 19 all when, I assume, he ran his Ghoul into my Colossus. I end up playing a Hierarch and an attack for five with CC playing another Main phase two should have been the game, but instead, the next attack of ten with him doing nothing was good enough.

1-0

Round Two vs Zakk playing Time Seive Combo

Game 1:

Apparently Zakk is posting his side of not only this game, but the entire FNM on his Facebook, so if you know Zakk from El Dorado (I think) make sure to check his stuff too. I know Zakk is a tight player and I'd honestly never played the combo deck until this game, needless to same, this was going to be fun.

I won the roll and played a first turn Llanowar Elf, while he played a CIPT land in a boderpost. My hand was ery sausy, so a second land didn't do anything crazy as i just beat for one with Llany. I wasn't sure what deck he was playing at this point, so another Boarderpost or so and a go kinda confused me...isn't Lark suppose to do stuff? Of course, I can talk because I rip a Stag like a champ. and play it much to the delight of my no third land. He played some more artifacts (I didn't write them down, though I assume a Howling mine and a Flask or two were among them) and passed back. I ended up going to attack phase and hitting for four with Llany and Stag before playing my third land with little else to do. Of course, my lack of activity allowed him to combo off in my face the following turn. I made him play it out because I wanted info on his deck as well as to see how the combo worked in it's entirely. Who know just drawing seven cards a turn worked that well...

Sideboarding:
I did a few swaps, but I ended up bringing in my Duresses, Pithing Needles, Guttural Responses, and Haunting Echoes. I took out my removal in the form of my Profanes and Eyeblights, as well as a guy I didn't think would be of much help at all in Cloudthresher.

Game 2 was a spot on riveter as I go first keeping a six card hand of Land, Land, Land, Land, Duress, Pithing Needle. I'm not sure why I kept, but a turn one Duress saw a hand of Boarderpost, Tezzeret, Jace, Time Sieve, Open the Vaults, Howling Mine, and something else. His dialog at this point was burned into my mind as, out of the blue in my eyes there, he said "If you picked the right card, we can go to game three right now." Of course, I think and think for a while, figuring finally that if I take the Tezz and Needle Jace, he couldn't win (who runs more than one Tezzeret anyway?) He picks his hand back up and says I picked wrong. I'm still happy with my choice, but a drawn card during his draw step initiates scoop mode anyway.

In retrospect, obviously, taking boarderpost was the right play, but I guess I just didn't see it. He also didn't have a land in hand so I should have picked up on that very quickly, but didn't...

Game 3:

A turn one Pithing Neddle seemed to put a quick nail in his coffin vs his lowly land, but for the second time this tournament, a clearly devastating play didn't even seem to phase him. After our big turn one last game Zakk was a little more chummy with me and we bantered about the best Needle target. I stuck to my guns, saying that if I Pithed the Sieve, his combo was ka-put. He retorted that was the Cryptic commands have two mode, and, at that moment, I knew what the Guttural Response in my hand was for. The decks played out like they should, with a few artifacts for him and a turn two Putrid Leech into turn three Stag for me. The beats in-sued and the only play that really matter was when he was dead on board but had to try a Cryptic bouncing the Needle. A Guttural later and I was reporting a match I shouldn't have won (probably) as a 2-1 in favor of me. About Zakk as a player, he's probably one of the nicest guys you'll meet, but don't mess with his money. You know who you are, and he's still waiting.

2-0

At this point, I was feeling extreamly sick, straight vomit sick after beating an unwinnable match with sideboard cards for 5CC. And reliving the experiance is making me a little nausious now, so instead of finishing the tourney report all in one post, I'll simply pause it here, half-way between our seventeen man, four round FNM, and I'll catch you up in a little while with the rest of the swiss, as well as the top four. Untill then, here's a quick vid acting as a primer to future MWS videos I'll be posting starring myself on bottem and a rotating cast of my friends up top. This is BSA playing 1.5 B/W Pallies, but there's no commentary on it...yet.



Enjoy, and Love life,
~BT

Comments:

There are 0 comments for FNM Report 1 or, "Why Time Seive is nuts." part 1

Post a Comment