States 2009 part C and Jace, the Mindtaker!

Posted by BTsume | | Posted On Friday, December 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM

See what I did there?

Anyway, back to States. While my ride down was mild-mannered, and I managed about six hours of sleep in the back of the car, I sat in front of my first round opponent as he started playing artifacts, and I just had to laugh.

Game one went to him handily, as in the final turn before I was to kill him, he comboed off and had to kill me with a depleted then revived Tezzeret. Game two was a shock to his system though, because as I shuffled through my sideboard, looking for something to board in against this nightmare match, my mind clicked on the Quest for Ancient secrets. A few fetches and Knight activations later, I had an active Quest. As my opponent tried to go off, I let him read the common enchantment and we went to game three. Of course, I am the one who screws up here, because though I played two quests, I got blown out by double resounding wave and a Day. I was also stuck on three lands, so...

0-1 (1-2)

My opponent in round two seemed like a tightwad of a Valukut player, but I loosened him up, killing him with jokes as well as dudes. He nearly had me in game two, but he was off my four points of damage...not too much to say though, because both games were he plays bad ramp, and I kill him with good stuff.

2-0 (3-2)

Now my opponent for round three? Though it took all match for him to warm up to me, I cracked into his facade in game three after we both got stuck on no lands in one game each. A completely clogged ground left me only an out in the air, but Honor made his Skyfisher big enough to bloc my Emeria Angel, so we sat there looking stupid for a while, him having to draw all four Paths to stall against me in the long game. Of course I had death on board when time was up and I only needed one more attack phase, but, a friend earned is a friend gained, no?

1-1-1 (4-3-1)

Real chill guy like me in round four. His deck, though mono-green looking in game one was in fact R/G not Eldrazi elves. I only found this out because I made him feel at ease after I destroyed him game one. When I say destroyed though, I mean it really ridiculously...as in turn five Overrun, turn six Overrun, and I'm still not dead...More funny part? I had the feeling he had no artifacts before he told me and that I wouldn't need the Pridemages. I mull to four game two and play a quick game three off of Baneslayer, double Journey, double Path...Yeah, she did twenty-five damage, and she's pretty good.

2-1 (6-4-1)

The best part of my match against Turbo Fog round five? In game two where I mise him with a turn one Quest and his concession after he tells me he thought I was G/W/b and that he didn't bring in his hate...of course, triple Pithing Needle and milling away all my Pridemages don't vote well for game three.

1-2 (7-6-1)

I'd like to say, this dude was a douche bag because a Judge called him on his cheating, and though he didn't get DQed for it, he was still a dickbag...Of course I wasn't it it, as I didn't want to play him, so he got me fastlike in two off the back of AJ Vengeance.

0-2 (7-8-1)

As I had no way to top 16, I decided to have fun in my last round, and I found myself why I don't do it more. By Bant Miracle grow, I mean Jace, Jenara, Divination, Mind Spring, and Lorescale Coatl. Man, I wish I would've played the snake, it would've been like a 5/5+ all day. Either way, my more expensive and more powerful cards get me the win over his FNM deck. I did love the dude's deck though, and I might play it for fun soon enough.

2-0 (9-8-1)

Positive for the day, if just barely. But, all's well that plays well. I love States for the fun, not the competition. I already can't wait until next year, where hopefully I'll have some notes.



Speaking of notes, how about a States report from a buddy of mine who top foured?
Alright, I'll work it out and get it posted with the last part of my adventure: the drive home.

______________________________________

Oh, and the mind-taking...



Well?

Comments:

There are 0 comments for States 2009 part C and Jace, the Mindtaker!

Post a Comment