2009 States part B

Posted by BTsume | | Posted On Monday, December 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Alright were did we leave off...Ah, yes, the deck. Well, to begin with, I made my deck from a Frank Karsten-like hybridazation of Martin Juza's Worlds G/W/b deck and LSV's in work G/W. Last minute changes made the deck into this:

// Lands
2 [ZEN] Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
5 [ZEN] Plains (1)
6 [ZEN] Forest (1)
2 [M10] Gargoyle Castle
1 [ZEN] Island (3)
3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats

// Creatures
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
3 [ALA] Battlegrace Angel
3 [M10] Master of the Wild Hunt
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
3 [M10] Birds of Paradise
2 [CFX] Thornling
4 [ZEN] Emeria Angel
3 [ALA] Rhox War Monk (Defiantly an under-performer. Might be changing to only G/W in the main)
1 [M10] Baneslayer Angel (Was a fourth Master, but her power alone won me a game with a hand full of removal, so mise...)

// Spells
2 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
3 [ZEN] Vines of Vastwood
3 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Day of Judgment (Maybe should have probably been Telemin Performance)
SB: 1 [ARB] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [CFX] Wall of Reverence
SB: 2 [ARB] Grizzled Leotau
SB: 4 [ZEN] Quest for Ancient Secrets
SB: 3 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage

The Baneslayer change was actually really powerful in the end, so I was fine with it, and the swap from the Sledge in the sideboard to the Needle was after realizing I only had the Sledge in my SB because of the G/W mirror. The addition of more fetchlands was strictly a power call because I wanted 4/4 Knights on turn two...

For a quick note before we go into an overview of the decks that were played at my states, I just was to shout out to my buddy Doug who lent me nearly all the money in this deck. Without him, I'm sure I would've had to take something sub-par. Thanks again!

I feel as if I should give a small listing of the decks my group played as well, because though some of them did badly, good ideas abounded. With two Jund, two Grixis control, a Spread 'Em, two Naya Lightsaber, and my deck, you can probably tell who the more fun oriented players are in my group...

Regardless, my matches were as followed:

Round 1 Time Sieve
Round 2 Valukut Combo
Round 3 8 Land WW
Round 4 G/R (not) Eldrazi Elves
Round 5 Turbo Fog
Round 6 UWr Control ala Pedro Rodrigez
Round 7 Bant Miracle Grow

Hmm...round one vs the deck I knew would be there...and then round five against a deck I feared I couldn't beat? I think this my be a good point to put an elipsis and start a tournament report in my next post.

...,
~BTsume

Comments:

There are 0 comments for 2009 States part B

Post a Comment